One of my favourite things is popping the broad beans out of their fluffy pods. I love the smell. I used around 20 pods if not a few more to get enough beans for this meal. The more the merrier I say.
You will need (for two):
- Around 20 broad bean pods
- 4 rashers bacon
- 10-12 new potatoes, peeled and quartered (or halved depending on the size)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Fresh herbs, small amounts of each (I used chives and mint), chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
Remove the broad beans from their pods and boil them in salted water for about 4 minutes.
Keep the water and then boil the potatoes until soft. Drain and put to one side.
When the beans have cooled you can begin one of the most satisfying pursuits imaginable. Squeeze the beans out of their grey, papery cases. Some will come out easily with just a small pinch whereas some require the insertion of a fingernail to get things moving.