Hello and welcome to my new website; I hope you enjoy it! To kick things off on my new site it was only right that I baked something; I had to have something to keep me motivated during the changeover! These orange and poppy seed biscuits are a recipe from Cathryn Dresser (former Great British Bake Off contestant) author of Let’s Bake and she has teamed up with Pyrex to create a series of baking recipes for National Baking Week from 13th to 19th October. See below for details of the giveaway to win lots of Pyrex baking goodies in time for October 13th.
The recipe below is one of the recipes from Cathryn for Orange and Seed Biscuits:
You will need (for around 20 biscuits):
- 175g butter, softened
- Zest 1 orange
- Drop orange extract (I didn’t have any so I left this out)
- 15g poppy seeds
- 15g sesame seeds
- 225g self raising flour
- 75g milk chocolate (I used 50g and it was just the right amount)
Beat the butter and icing sugar together until smooth then mix in the orange zest and seeds.
Gradually add the flour and mix to a smooth dough. Refrigerate for around 2o minutes.
Line a baking tray and preheat an oven to 160C. Roll out the dough on a floured surface to roughly 5mm thick and cut out using a 6cm biscuit cutter.
Put the biscuits onto the lined baking tray and bake for 10-12 minutes before leaving to cool and transferring to a wire rack.
Melt the chocolate in a bowl over simmering water (ensure bowl and water don’t touch) then use the chocolate to decorate however you like.
As you can see I went for a haphazard chocolate decorating approach and I’m rather pleased with it. I think I may have inadvertently tempered the chocolate too as when it had set it still had a good shine to it *pats self on back*. Pyrex had sent me one of their baking trays to try out for myself and I really liked it. From their new Asimetria range it has a nifty handle on one side making it easy to move about without putting your thumb in the biscuits.
If you’d like to get your hands on one of the baking trays that I used along with a load of other goodies, please read the rules below and good luck!
- The prize consists of: 2 x 20cm cake tins, 1 x 12 cup muffin tray, 1 flan tin, 1 baking tray and 1 loaf tin (RRP £56). The prize is non transferable and no cash alternative is offered.
- The winner’s details will be passed to Pryex who will send the prize direct.
- The giveaway is open to UK residents aged 18 or over.
- Closing date for entries is 11.59pm GMT on 30th September 2014.
- Entrants must log in using Gleam and leave a comment on the blog to say what your favourite biscuit is.
- Optional entry methods are on the Gleam widget.
- The winner is chosen at random from all valid entries.
- The winner will be infomred via email within 1 day of the closing date and will need to respond within 3 days otherwise a new winner will be chosen.
- The winner’s name will be available on request.
- Pyrex are responsible for prize fulfilment.
- This is a joint promotion between All That I’m Eating and Pyrex.
- Entry to this giveaway confirms that participants have read, understood and agree to these Terms and Conditions.