I am still making an effort to have interesting lunches. Soup is perfect at this time of year as it freezes well and just needs heating through for an (almost) instant lunch. This is my Thai Vegetable Noodle Soup and I make it with plenty of chilli. I love the heat of the chilli with the creaminess of the coconut but you can make it as hot as you like.
This is a great recipe for using up any vegetables you have in the house. I like to use a few different colours if I can to brighten up the soup a little. The lime and coriander really lift the flavours and give it a zing and freshness which is just what I want from this soup.
Breaking up the rice noodles makes them much easier to eat, and also helps to distribute them more evenly in the soup. Just snap them in your hands.
Chopping the vegetables to the right size is important to ensure that everything will have a nice texture in the finished soup. I prefer a bit of crunch left in the carrots (so leave them a little bigger) and nice silky shallots (so chop them slightly smaller).
You want to use a really good Thai green curry paste for this. As this is where most of the flavour comes from you want it to be really punchy. You can always add a little more or less if needed and you could always try making your own.
Thai chicken noodle soup is one of my favourites but I really don’t miss the chicken in this recipe. If you have some leftover chicken to add then make the soup with chicken stock instead of vegetable.
You can add any vegetables you like to this. I think pak choi, broccoli, water chestnuts or mushrooms would work really nicely.
I used full fat coconut milk but you could easily swap it for a low fat coconut milk if you prefer.
Thai Vegetable Noodle Soup
- 2 shallots diced
- 2 carrots diced small
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp ginger grated
- 2 tbsp green Thai curry paste
- 1 l vegetable stock
- Small handful cabbage shredded
- 150 g rice noodles snapped into smaller strands
- 200 ml coconut milk
- Pinch dried chilli
- 1 lime juiced
- Small handful coriander roughly chopped
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan on a medium heat. Add the shallots, carrot and pepper and fry for five minutes. Stir often.
- Add the garlic and ginger and fry for another two minutes.
- Add the green Thai curry paste and fry for another minute.
- Bring the pan to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for five minutes.
- Then add the cabbage and rice noodles and simmer for a further five minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk and chilli and bring back to a gentle simmer. (See notes below).
- Check the seasoning and adjust if needed. Squeeze in the lime juice and stir through the coriander before serving.
Pin my Thai Vegetable Noodle Soup for later!