Wet Garlic, Bacon and Broccoli Pappardelle

You know that saying about life giving you lemons? I was given some wet garlic (also called green garlic) in my vegetable box. Lemons can be made into lemonade but I certainly wasn’t about to start making garlic juice. I took some time to ponder its use. It looked like a skinny leek, but much longer, with the very pungent and distinct aroma of garlic.
Firstly I thought it best to try it raw to see what I was up against. I think even now I have a faint whiff of garlic on my breath. Raw wet garlic would, I’m sure, be acceptable to the ultimate garlic aficionado but not for me. Cooking was to be the way forward but I wondered whether to treat it like a leek which needs longer cooking or treat it like garlic which burns in the blink of an eye.
wet garlic
You will need:
6-8 rashers smoked bacon, diced
1 small onion, diced
1 wet garlic stalk/bulb, finely sliced
100ml chicken or vegetable stock
1 small head of broccoli, cut into florets
Pappardelle (however much it takes for you to be full)
Oil for frying
Salt and Pepper
organic wet garlic

Start by frying the onion in a little oil for a few minutes to soften. Add the bacon and fry for about five minutes until the bacon is cooked and the onions turning translucent. Add the garlic and reduce the heat. Fry for a few more minutes before pouring in the stock. Simmer this on a medium heat stirring occasionally. I used some of the chicken stock I had made from the leftover chicken.

While this cooks, add the pappardelle to boiling water. Four or five minutes before the pasta is ready, add the broccoli to the same water. The sauce should be reducing but turn the heat up or add a little more stock if it’s happening too fast or too slow. When the pasta and broccoli are done, add the broccoli and a little of the pasta water to the bacon sauce. Serve the broccoli, bacon, garlic mixture on top of the pappardelle.
Wet Garlic and Bacon Pasta with Broccoli

I was really surprised how the garlic mellowed with cooking. There was a definite garlic undertone to the dish but it was not as overpowering as I thought it might be. The salty bacon, sweet onion, pungent garlic and juicy broccoli were all married together beautifully with the chicken stock. If you’re lucky enough to get hold of wet garlic this is certainly worth a try (I also added it to frying Chorizo and it worked a treat), if you’re brave then you could try slicing it in to a salad.

Comments

Having just made some homemade pappardelle pasta,I couldn’t resist checking out your post. Great idea using the wet garlic…pasta with fried garlic and chile flakes is one of my all time favourites. Love the addition of chorizo sausages in your recipe.

Mmm… what a delicious flavours here. I love broccoli and with bacon and garlic it makes such a good pasta sauce.

I didn’t know that green garlic is called the wet garlic… Got to try cooking and eating this interesting ingredients.

Your blog is great and here I am being your latest follower 😀

I used plenty of garlic in my cooking, into stir fried and soups all the time. Nice pasta with the garlic, what more the bacon with the green colour blooming from the broccoli.

Beautiful pasta dish…I love all the flavors but haven’t seen wet garlic around here. I’ll just have to sub the ordinary stuff 🙂

hi, came over from free and easy bake along. This wet garlic looks like the chinese leeks we have here but i’m not sure if they are the same one. I’ve not tried that raw, mostly stir fry like you did here and your pasta dish looks good!

Ciao Caroline, grazie di essere passata da me, vedo comunque delle belle ricette sul tuo blog… sono stato spesso a Londra, Birmingham, ho anche visitato la casa di Shakespeare, mi piace l’Inghilterra…

I think I’ve had the option of getting that in my veg box too, but wouldn’t have had a clue what to do with it. Thanks for the pointers, and this dish looks amazing!

I’ve been thinking about experimenting with wet garlic too. Dried garlic is so widely used that I feel the need to try something different! I have only 21 garlic plants growing in my patch. If they were all to mature I would hardly have a huge crop, and a head of garlic in the shops goes for about 45p. On the other hand, you seldom see wet garlic on sale at all, so if I had 21 heads of this, maybe it would indeed be a worthwhile harvest.

Agree with Mark ^ you don’t see it for sale so your enjoying something that most don’t!
    I ve cooked it with risotto adding the green early on and the white towards the end of cooking,
    it was great, saves on adding too much salt, so I guess
    its good for you!

I m going to be eating more wet garlic as our garlic
    is now suffering rust pretty bad, I m going to eat every other plant, giving me food & the garlic a bit of space
    to hopefully recover?!