Greek Style Baked Spaghetti and Feta

When I was on holiday I endevoured to try as many new Greek foods as possible. I stopped at sampling some of the more unusual (lamb’s brains in intestine) but immensely enjoyed the baked goods and baklava. One of the things I tried and absolutely loved was tomato baked spaghetti with feta; Italian Greek fusion maybe. Either way after a day at the beach, and a carafe of very easy to drink red wine, this meal was exactly what I needed.
Greek Style Baked Spaghetti and Feta

Foraging in Greece would be an amazingly acidulated affair; lemons, limes, olives, figs and pomegranates were dripping from the roadsides. I loved the fresh herbs that were used in all of the hot food I had and that no matter where you went bread and dessert were obligatory and free of charge. I had a great time and I can’t wait to try and recreate some of the great flavours I tried while I was over there. Here is my interpretation of one of my favourite dishes.

Herbs

You will need (for two):
Olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 fat clove garlic, chopped
400g cherry tomatoes
Small handful of basil and parsley, chopped
Salt and pepper
170g spaghetti
200g feta

Tomatoes cooking

Start by warming up a little olive oil in a pan and adding the onion and garlic. Fry gently for a few minutes until the onion is turning translucent. Turn the heat up a little and add the tomatoes. Stir the pan occasionally to stop the garlic from browning and wait until all the tomatoes have burst. When the tomatoes have released some of their juice and made a sauce, stir in the fresh herbs and seasoning and turn off the heat.

While the sauce is going cook your spaghetti according to packet instructions and preheat the grill. When the spaghetti is cooked, drain and keep a little of the cooking water. Mix the sauce, spaghetti and water together before putting it all into an ovenproof dish. Break up the feta and sprinkle all over the top. Put it under the grill for 5 to 10 minutes or until the feta is browned.

Greek Style Baked Spaghetti and Feta - close up of top

If you’ve not had cooked feta before I urge you to try this. When I tried some it was like a revelation, never again will I just cube it up into a salad. The tomatoes added a real freshness to the dish which was really complemented by the herbs; next time I would add a little passata to thin the sauce out a little. This meal has so much texture and flavour for something so simple. The feta is definitely the best bit; warm, salty and crisp this is the kind of meal you dive into and don’t stop until it’s finished.

Comments

That sounds pretty good – all things I really like,in their own right but probably even better put together! I think I would probably have skinned the tomatoes beforehand though.

2. mylittleitaliankitchen says

A very Greek version of spaghetti. I love feta and this is a very interesting combination!

I love eating pasta and enjoy discovering interesting combination of flavours. I should try to enhance fresh and simple pasta sauces with feta cheese(!!). Thank you Caroline! Great tip and a good flavoursome pasta sauce.

I have never tried feta but why not? I am crisis for time to cook rice and the rest needed, so my weekends are becoming more of noodles and I would love to try this lovely recipe of yours for a change.

hi carol, i’m one who had never tried feta in pasta. i’m very tempted to try this out! your pic is looking seriously good!

6. Mich Piece of Cake says

I’ve never made my pasta Greek style before. This looks delicious and easy, Caroline. Will try this sometime.

I love this! We’ve just had out first snow (can you believe it?!) and I scurried to take any tomatoes available before it froze overnight. I love the idea of making this type of dish especially with the less saucey tomatoe topping. Am hoping your trip was fantastic! Loved the image of all the local foraging.

great meal, I wonder did it taste as good as when you ate it in Greece? I think not, there is something about the atmosphere on holiday that makes food taste completely different. However, it does look very good indeed and I agree about cooking feta, I’ve included it in quiche type flans and it is mega!

9. Allie says

I’ve been looking for a new pasta dish. This was perfect. Yummy and so easy to put together! Thanks 🙂

I usually eat feta in salads. Gonna take your advice and try them cooked. The pasta looks super, and I really enjoy the click of the cherry tomatoes sitting in the pan.